Mari Viluksela is a finnish violist based in Hamburg, Germany, who works as a freelancer in both countries. She has a masters degree both from the Sibelius Academy Helsinki and the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg. Currently she is finishing her Konzertexamen studies in Hamburg in the class of Anna Kreetta Gribajcevic. For the year 2019-20 Mari was selected for the grant programme of Claussen Simon Foundation.
Mari is especially interested in finding and performing works from composers outside of the canon. She is also actively commissioning and premiering new works, mostly from composers of her generation. Hector Docx and Tristan Xavier Köster, among others, have written works for her. In addition to her interest in new music, early music is also an important part of Mari’s career. She has studied baroque viola with Minna Kangas, and in addition to many chamber projects has also played with the Finnish Baroque Orchestra.
Mari is constantly looking for new ways for classical music to be part of society and she considers issues of gender inequality within the music world of paramount importance. Because of that Mari and Linda Suolahti founded Kokonainen Festival in 2016. Their chamber music festival promotes female composers and brings older and often forgotten music of women to a wider audience.
Mari is a sought after chamber and orchestra musician both in Germany and Finland. As a chamber musician she has performed i.a. in Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival, Musiikkia Ruovesi! Festival, Kaakko Festival and in Hamburg at Freie Akademie der Künste and Laeiszhalle. Her preferance for chamber orchestras has lead to her performing with Tapiola Sinfonietta, Lapland Chamber Orchestra and dogma chamber orchestra, often as the principal viola. Her work with symphonic orchestras includes the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, Sinfonia Lahti and Bremer Philharmoniker.
In her free time Mari likes to go to forests, mountains and the seaside, and she is always reading at least one book.
- Konzertexamen in HfMT Hamburg (2017–)
- Master of Music in Sibelius Academy Helsinki (2019)
- Master of Music in HfMT Hamburg (2014–2017) with Prof. Anna Kreetta Gribajcevic
- Bachelor of Music in Sibelius Academy (2009-2014) Helsinki with Teemu Kupiainen, Lilli Maijala and Tommi Aalto
Prizes and grants:
- Grant programme stART.up of Claussen-Simon-Stiftung 2019–20
- 2nd prize of Elise-Meyer-Wettbewerb 2017
- Special prize of Lahja ja Vilho Koponen foundation in Tampere Viola Competition 2012
- 1st prize of Melartin Chamber Music Competition with Core Quartet 2010
- Kokonainen Festival 2016– (co-founder and artistic leader)
- Kaakko Festival and Musiikkia! Ruovesi Festival 2016–18
- Soloist performance with the Ensemble 13/14 of HfMT 2016 (Hindemith: Der Schwanendreher)
- Finnische Musik im Dialog chamber concert series in collaboration with the Finnish Church in Hamburg 2016 (co-founder and artistic leader)
- Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival, Naantali Music Festival, Musiikkia Linnassa Festival and Fiskars Music Festival with Core Quartet 2012–13
- Lapland Chamber Orchestra, Tapiola Sinfonietta, Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra (principal, sub-principal, tutti)
- Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Bremer Philharmoniker, Sinfonia Lahti, dogma chamber orchestra, ensemble reflektor (tutti)
- Finnish Baroque Orchestra